Recovery Week

It has been a long time since I’ve had the chance to sneak some time in on Mama’s laptop. But I figured since she’s busy mopping the floors, I’d have a chance to jot a quick post off. It has been one rough week for this pup. Let me tell you what happened…

I’ve been having some problems (oh dear, this is embarrassing, but I must simply say it and move on) pooping. Mama and Papa have been concerned because I’ve been bleeding and I had a hard time getting it out. Well, things came to a head on Monday (I finally get why people don’t like Mondays – I never understood before) when I couldn’t poop. I crawled up on the bed to tell Mama and she petted me and felt my hind quarters. Apparently I bled so much I soaked my hind leg and bled through the sheets. I’ll give Mama credit, she spoke to me very calmly, told me we’d have to go to the vet (imagine the fear that simple word struck in my heart), and put me in my harness. Gryphon and Elsa were beside themselves that they weren’t going too. Elsa got so excited, she even peed the bed (hee hee hee). Anyway, we took a trip in the car to the vet, and Mama talked softly to me the whole way over. She knew I was nervous, but something wasn’t right, so I didn’t whine much.

The doc took one look at my behind and carried me away from Mama into the back room. I’ll have to tell you, I wasn’t thrilled with that state of events. It’s never a good thing when they take you into the back (unless you’re getting a bath, and I knew I wasn’t here for a bath.) The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. Apparently I had a large intestinal tumor which caused my problems and they had to do surgery to take it out. I had to stay overnight at the vet…not something I enjoy, I assure you. They don’t have the comforts of home, like nice pillows for me to lay on.

Mama and Papa picked me up the following day. I thought Papa was never going to let me walk on my own again. He carried me everywhere and kept talking to me like a baby. The nice thing was I could con him into any treat I wanted. I was a little sore, but not too bad. Gryphon and Elsa were happy to see me. Elsa must have known I didn’t feel a hundred percent because she didn’t jump on me, and only sniffed my belly and backside a couple times. The worst part of the recovery has been the liquid meds Mama has to give me. The one for pain isn’t bad, but the other one is downright nasty.

Mama took me back to the vet yesterday, and I have to tell you…I trembled. I was afraid she’d have to leave me again, and I just wasn’t up to it. Not so soon. Anyway, we had to wait because there was a siberian husky who was so bad off he couldn’t walk. I was NOT the only one shaking in the waiting room. I wasn’t even the worst. The doc talked to Mama and me and said the prognosis was very bad. I have cancer. I don’t feel bad. In fact, except for the sutures on my tummy that tickle a bit, I feel pretty normal.

Mama told me I need to let her know if I hurt, and unless I’m hurting too much, we’ll just keep taking each day as it comes. She said the doc was AMAZED by my progress and healing and that was a very good sign. All I know is with Papa, I just have to look slightly pathetic and he’ll get me whatever I want. Life is good!

PS – I know it’s Halloween, but all of my Halloween pics involve a hat, and I hate hats, but I love my Christmas dress, so I used it instead.

All for now. Until next time. Paws Up!

Copyright 2010 © Phoenix with a helping paw from Gryphon and a distracting paw from Elsa

About the Author:
“Just call me Your Highness” ~ Phoenix

Spread the love

One Comment on “Recovery Week”

  1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Recovery Week --

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *